My oh my, where has time gone? It seem like just last week, I was posting about my new wood floors. Although I have not posted in over 6 months, I won’t say that I’ve stopped blogging. It’s been more like “creating with the intent to blog.” It has been so hard to dedicate time to my craft let alone make time to blog about it. Things have been happening around here and I’ve meant to write a post but it just never happened. Today I forced myself to get down to business, edit some photos and write a damn blog post.
Last year, the hubs and I hosted a married couple in our house for 10 months. They weren’t strangers. They were my husbands close cousin and his wife and they wanted to save money to buy their first home. The timeline was 12 months but they succeeded in less than 10 months. They bought a home in the subdivision next to ours and we are happy to have them close by. When they lived with us, we gave them two of our empty bedrooms. The larger room was their bedroom while the smaller room next to it was the closet/dressing room. The room I’m talking about today is labeled as the “Fitness Room”. The hubs used to work out in here but has since moved his equipment into the basement.
Now that they’ve moved on, we are moving forward with plans to fix up our guest bedrooms. We will soon have another family member living with us for a while so there was a crunch to get this room turned over before they move in.
The room is small. It’s only 11′ x 10′ so it can’t fit anything larger than a full-sized bed.
It also is an ugly beige color. The main thing I hated about this room were the windows. They were 1960’s builder basic with no trim adorned with 1990’s mini blinds. Since I plan on completely transforming this room the first thing I did was trim those windows and replace the window sill.
If you notice they do have really nice marble sills. Unfortunately, they are too short to accommodate trim around the window an a reveal. After I removed the mini blinds and shoved them in the recycle bin, I removed the window sill. I started by cutting and removing the caulk all around the sill.
Then I pried the window sill away from the window and wall. It came out quite easy because the adhesive used to secure the marble was about 40 years old.
I didn’t bother removing those three shims. They were in great condition and would save me the headache of having to shim the new window sill. I don’t have a photo of me making the new window sill because I had to do my cutting at night and that makes for horrible photos. I will tell you that I used what I already had. I pulled a scrap piece of 3/4″ birch plywood and trimmed it to the length of the old sill plus 5″ and kept the width the same. This allowed me to use 2-1/4″ door casing and still have a decent reveal on each side.
I glued the new window sill in place with construction adhesive and added a few brad nails right through the face and into the existing shims. I filled the edges of plywood with wood filler and sanded really smooth. Since it’s going to be painted, one would never know it was plywood rather than solid wood. Plus plywood is more stable than solid wood. Win win.
I trimmed the window in door casing and also used some of the casing for the apron underneath the window sill.
I primed the raw wood and gave it one more light sanding.
I caulked every crevice and once dry, I sprayed all the trim with 3 coats of Behr Premium Plus Ultra Semi-gloss paint in Silky White.
I didn’t bother taping off the outside of the window since I will be painting the walls anyway.
Now that the windows are trimmed and have new window sills, I have more options in the window treatment category. I will definitely be making some roman shades for privacy and I will likely do curtain panels too.
Next up will be painting the room. You will be shocked by the color I choose. I’ve already painted so it’s really a matter of me editing some photos and writing that blog post. I’m going to try really hard to get that done in the next couple of days.