I’m just going to jump in here and pretend I have not been M.I.A. My floors are still a work in progress so I’ve moved on to something that would give me some instant gratification and hopefully help me get back into the groove of doing what I enjoy most. Building.
Remember our master bedroom project from last summer? I totally changed the bedroom around but I left the master bathroom a mess. We weren’t sure what we wanted to do with the bathroom and I even threw out a few possible changes. The bathroom is in fine working order right now but it is really small. Like 7′ x 6.5′ with just a tiny shower and no tub. There is a decent sized linen closet that needed sprucing up. The perfect project to get me back in the swing of things and hopefully great practice for a project that I’ve been pondering for the last two months. If you follow me on Pinterest then you know what I’m hinting towards.
Given that we are planning a gut renovation of this bathroom later this year I felt that improving the function of this closet was about as much as I was willing to do. The shelves were bowed and there was a lot of wasted space.
I emptied the closet and took measurements.
This closet has a bifold door. If I turned this into a complete built-in then I could not put the door back in. I liked the door so I decided to only make the linen cabinet as large as the opening minus the operating space for the bifold door. The rest of the space (about 8″) would be concealed. This will all make sense when the linen cabinet is finished.
Armed with my measurements, I drew up the plans in SketchUp. I started with a simple box….
Then I added shelves and drawers. I staggered the shelves because I figured they would allow easier access.
Keeping in mind everything I planned on keeping in the drawers, I sized each drawer appropriately. The bottom largest drawer would hold cleaning supplies.
So it needed to be at least 11″ tall.
The next drawer would hold several rolls of toilet paper
So it needed to be at least 5″ tall.
The 3rd drawer would hold my lady things and the 4th drawer would hold the husbs excess of toiletries.
The 5th drawer will hold my makeup overflow.
Once I had all my dimensions I created a cut list and went to my scrap pile. I only needed to buy a sheet of 1/2″ birch plywood and a few 1×2 furring strips. I cut my sides and ends from 3/4″ plywood and I secured the box together with pocket holes.
I added the back using two pieces of 1/2″ plywood ripped to size because I didn’t have a whole sheet.
I measured and marked where I wanted my shelves to go.
Then I added 1×2 furring strips to support my shelves.
I screwed the supports from the outside of the carcass so that the screws would not be visible from inside the finished cabinet.
I cut my shelves from 1/2″ plywood and secured them to the supports with nails
To avoid nail holes in the front of the shelves, I attached the shelf fronts using pocket screws from underneath. The shelf fronts are made of select pine and not furring strips.
Once the top two shelves were in, I moved on to building the drawer boxes.
I didn’t add the bottom shelf because I wanted to make sure I had enough clearance for all five drawers and the 1/2″ space between them. I assembled the drawers the same way I’ve done in the past. Once they were all assembled, I placed them in the carcass.
With those in place, I marked the inside of the carcass for the bottom shelf.
Then I realized that I forgot to add bottoms to the drawers and had to go back and add those.
The husbs helped me carry the whole thing upstairs into the bathroom to see how it fit.
Then we hauled it back downstairs for me to add the face frame and finishing.
As I write this, I’ve just put the final coat of paint on and installed the drawers. I hope to have a completed cabinet in my next post. Which should be in a few days.